Associate Dean of Academic Affairs (Job #1450)
This is a non-classified, managerial position.
Duties and Responsibilities
This 12-month position reports to the Associate Campus Provost/Dean for Academic Affairs (ACP/DAA). Duties and responsibilities include:
- Preparation of the College Catalog, semester course schedules, and related publications.
- Assisting the ACP/DAA and appropriate campus constituencies to improve student retention and timely graduation per the institutional strategic plan and the WV Higher Education Policy Commission Compact.
- Supporting functions related to institutional accreditation as defined by the ACP/DAA.
- Assisting the ACP/DAA in the development and assessment of the HEPC Compact and its effective integration into the institutional strategic plan.
- Assisting the ACP/DAA, faculty, and outside constituencies with the development of new applied academic programming tied directly to local and regional workforce needs, including the creating and functioning of applied program advisory boards.
- Assisting the ACP/DAA with an expansion of on-line programming; particularly at the baccalaureate (300-400) degree level.
- Researching and gathering academic information for the ACP/DAA including data for course, program, personnel, fiscal, and enrollment evaluations/analyses.
- Analyzing information, suggesting actions, completing and providing requested reports.
- Gathering, formatting, and forwarding data for various program reviews on five-year review cycles.
- Helping to maintain communication with counterparts of the West Virginia and West Virginia University System, as well as with other post-secondary institutions and community leaders.
- Assisting with the supervision of daily operations of staff in the Office of Academic Affairs.
- Assisting with evaluation of staff of the Office of Academic Affairs, including the Academic Success Center.
- Counseling students on academic issues such as course load, academic performance, graduation, etc.
- Managing the operational aspects of academic probation and suspension, including preparation of notifications to students and providing first line responses to academic appeals.
- Working closely with the Enrollment Services Office to support student orientation/registration events, specifically ensuring that appropriate levels of academic advising resources are available at such events.
- Assisting with support and advocacy for academic units in procuring resources, monetary or otherwise, needed to operate efficiently and effectively.
- Certification of graduation.
- Other duties as assigned by the ACP/DAA.
- Earned master’s degree required.
- On-line teaching certification such as “Quality Matters.”
- Evidence of effective teaching and active engagement of students in the learning process.
- Experience in a leadership role for successful institutional or program accreditation.
- Experience in the development and evaluation of associate and baccalaureate academic degree programs.
- Experience and/or strong commitment to prior learning assessment, on-line instruction, and dual (high school/college) enrollment programs.
- An excellent working knowledge of the continuous improvement process as it applies to strategic planning, program development, and accreditation.
- A good understanding of current trends and opportunities in higher education for improving the enrollment and retention of students.
- Experience with database management, spreadsheets.
Amount and Type of Experience Needed: Five years of college-level professional experience, which includes both teaching and academic administrative experience.
This is a 12-month appointment with benefits. Expected starting date is July 1, 2014. (Job #1450).
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, unofficial college transcript, and names and addresses of three references to: Harlan Shreve, Business Office, (Job #), Potomac State College, 101 Fort Avenue, Keyser, West Virginia 26726 or to Harlan.Shreve@mail.wvu.edu .
Please specify in the address or subject line the job for which you are applying.
Review of applications will begin January 1, 2014, and will continue until the positions are filled.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer.