Mission and PhilosophyCollege Mission
Potomac State College, as a division of West Virginia University, provides a high quality, comprehensive education for our students in a friendly, culturally diverse environment conducive to learning.
Potomac State College of West Virginia University:
- participates in the achievement of the University's mission;
- has specific responsibility through its mission to serve the region and State of West Virginia;
- provides associate and selected baccalaureate degree programs;
- offers transfers, technical, advanced degree, and life-long learning opportunities;
- enriches the cultural and intellectual environment of the area.
We believe our most important concern is the total development of the individual student. Therefore, we commit to providing a comprehensive environment that invigorates the total individual: intellectually, creatively, culturally, physically, and socially. Potomac State College encourages students to:
- explore, discover and develop their special aptitudes and interests and to reach beyond their own perceived limitations;
- acquire the knowledge, critical thinking, problem solving, communication, teamwork, ethical, and social skills needed to support their immediate educational goals, as well as life-long learning in a world characterized by change;
- experience leadership;
- nurture social responsibility and receptive attitudes compatible with citizenship within a global society.
We support our faculty and staff in providing programs of study and instructional delivery that balance individual learning styles; didactic, cooperative and experiential learning environments; and outcome-based standards for academic excellence.