Self-Help Materials: Campus Activities
Campus activities are like most activities in life, you will only get out of it what you put into it. The more active you are, the more beneficial the activity will be for you. Be open-minded and try to participate in campus activities that are different from anything you have done in the past. Try to get appointed to a leadership position. However, avoid taking on roles that may cause your education to suffer. You have a limited amount of time to participate in activities.
Ten reasons to GET INVOLVED in campus activities:
- Assists in the transition to your new environment at college and minimizes homesickness.
- Helps you to have fun and enjoy the total college experience.
- Helps you to meet new people and make new friends.
- Increases your interaction with faculty and staff members.
- Develops your leadership skills.
- Helps you to learn the value of "teamwork."
- Helps you to learn how to manage your time.
- Develops your "people skills."
- Strengthens your resume and makes you more marketable upon graduation.
- Increases the likelihood of retention and graduation.