Self-Help Materials: Class Participation
I. Benefits of Participating in Class:
- Increases your attentiveness and your ability to focus on the material being presented.
- Participation in class may or may not be technically listed as a percentage of your final grade in a course. Many professors use a level of participation as a guide when determining final grades, especially if your grade is very close to the next level.
- Increases your self-esteem and levels of self-assurance. Active participation has a direct effect on your level of pleasure in being in that particular learning environment.
II. Tips to Improve Class Participation:
- Be prepared for class in advance. Review reading assignments and previous class notes.
- Predict questions the professor may ask and work out answers for them in advance.
- Expand your knowledge by listing several questions to ask the instructor in advance of each class.
- Keep your comments and inquiries brief and to the point.
- Refer to your notes when developing answers to questions.
There is no quicker way to failure than to miss classes!!!