Potomac State Orientation (PSO) Event Information
Your participation in a Potomac State Orientation (PSO) session is the next step in ensuring your success as a college student. Check in will begin at 8:30 a.m. at the Church-McKee Arts Center with the program starting promptly at 9:00 a.m.
At a PSO event, students will have the opportunity to speak with an academic advisor to discuss academic plans and register for classes for the upcoming academic year; complete placement testing; meet individually with financial aid counselors to discuss your financial aid package; meet with housing and residential life staff to ask questions and reserve a room in one of our residence halls; and tour campus.
Informational tables, which include Athletics, Bookstore, University Police, Student Organizations, Student Accounts/Bill Payment, Residential Life, and Disability Services, will be set up with a representative available to answer your questions.
If you have not registered for a PSO event, please make sure you do so at your earliest convenience.
Click here to register
PLACEMENT TESTING INFORMATION
Placement testing is used to assist in proper placement of students into math and English courses. Our goal is to help students succeed academically and to progress toward graduation in a timely manner. Initial recommendations regarding math and English placement will be made based on the student's ACT or SAT scores.
MATH PLACEMENT TESTING:
- Students who have no ACT/SAT scores on file or have below a 19 on the mathematics section of the ACT or below a 460 on the math portion of the SAT may be offered the opportunity to take Version A-Foundations of the Potomac State College Math Placement Exam.
- Students who have a 19 or above on the mathematics section of the ACT or a 460 or above on the math portion of the SAT may be offered the opportunity to take Version B-Advanced of the Potomac State College Math Placement Exam. (Refer to Math requirements by major below under "Additional Information/Forms")
- Use of calculators is prohibited
SAMPLE POTOMAC STATE COLLEGE MATH PLACEMENT EXAM:
ENGLISH PLACEMENT TESTING:
- Students who have no ACT/SAT scores on file or do not meet the minimum score of 18 on the English section of the ACT or the minimum score of 450 on the verbal portion of the SAT may be offered the opportunity to take the ACCUPLACER placement test in sentence skills.
- Students with an ACT score of 18 or above on the English section or an SAT score of 450 or above on the verbal portion will be placed directly into English 101.
SAMPLE ENGLISH PLACEMENT TEST :