Men’s Basketball: Potomac State stuns Southern Maryland, 92-87

Potomac State rallied from a 15-point deficit with 4:06 to play, outscoring College of Southern Maryland 25-4 during that final stretch, as the Catamounts collected a 92-87 win over the Hawks on Monday night in the Dana G. Lough Gymnasium.

“I have to give credit to College of Southern Maryland for controlling the tempo for 34 minutes on the road,” said Potomac State head coach Justin Anderson. “We emphasize the importance of playing hard every play — if you play hard, you’ll always have a chance to win. We were really proud of our guys overall in a great team effort. The guys really rallied behind Brewah’s efforts. We were really proud of our never give up attitude. To come from behind by 15 points with four minutes to play really says a lot about our guys.”

Justin Milstead
Justin Milstead

With the score 83-67 in favor of the Hawks, Potomac State’s Kyle Jackson made a layup with 3:50 to go before Anderson deployed a full-court press. After a Jackson steal-and-score, the full-court press started to push the envelope on the Hawks, as a charging call gave the ball back to Potomac State.

Justin Milstead drove to the lane on the ensuing possession, making the lay-up while getting fouled in the process — Milstead’s made free throw cut the Catamounts’ deficit to single digits at 9.

After a traveling call on College of Southern Maryland, Malcolm Weathers hit a three-pointer — one of five he made — to cut the score to 83-77 with three minutes to play.

After Mahda Bewah made a free throw on the front end of his double-bonus attempt, Nequan Carrington grabbed the rebound on the missed attempt and was fouled. During that time, the Hawks received a technical foul — Carrington and Weathers sank their free-throw attempts to cut the score to 83-82.

Southern Maryland missed a three-pointer on the ensuing possession and Milstead tied the game up at 83 on a free-throw with 2:13 to play. The teams then twice traded baskets to put the score at 87 apiece with 1:02 to play.

Milstead made another free-throw to put Potomac State up one. The Hawks turned the ball over with 40 seconds remaining and Milstead drove the lane and laid it in to put the Catamounts up 90-87 with 10.7 seconds remaining. Southern Maryland missed a three-pointer on its next possession and Milstead grabbed the rebound and added two insurance points from the charity stripe for the final. Milstead finished with 16 points.

Weathers led the Catamounts in scoring with 20 points, converting on six field goals, five of which came from three-point land, and 3 of 4 from the foul line.

Brewah scored 15 points and Carrington added 13 for the Catamounts.

Potomac State (4-0) will host the Alderson Broaddus junior varsity today at 6 p.m.