Housing and Residence Life FAQ's


When should I turn in a Housing Application?

New Students

Once you have been accepted to Potomac State College of WVU, you should submit a housing application and pay the $200 room reservation fee as soon as possible. For instructions on how to apply for housing at Potomac State College of WVU, please see the answer to the following question.

Returning Students

The Office of Residential Education will begin accepting housing applications for the following academic year once Thanksgiving Break has ended.   To receive priority access in the room selection process, the application should be submitted as early as possible.

How can I apply for housing?

1) Sign into Mountaineer Information Xpress (MiX) at http://www.mix.wvu.edu/ using your MiX ID and password.
2) Click on the “STAR” tab.
3) Click on “Click here to enter Star” link.
4) Click on “Student Services & Housing” link.
5) Click on “Housing” link.
6) Click on “Housing Application” link to complete the application* and pay the deposit OR click on “Pay Housing Deposit” link if you have previously submitted the Housing Application.
*Note: In this section all residence hall students will select a meal plan.

To select your residence hall room and your roommate:

7) After the College has received your housing application/contract and $200 room reservation fee, WVU will send an e-mail to your MiX account informing you that you may proceed with selecting a room and roommate via the Housing Management System (HMS). It is imperative that you continue to check your MiX account for this notification as well as follow any and all instructions on how to complete the room selection process. (HMS will open for room selection at the beginning of March. Returning students and early applicants are given first priority in this process.)
8) If you don’t have a roommate preference, you will be given the opportunity to fill out a roommate matching questionnaire (Public Roommate Profile) that will attempt to match you with a roommate with similar preferences. We ask that you, and NOT your parents, fill out this section honestly.
9) If you and a friend would like to room together, you will have the opportunity to send a request to them via HMS. All roommate requests should be made early to ensure enough space to accommodate your request. Under no circumstances does the College guarantee who will be your roommate.
10) After you have completed this process, you have to log back into your MiX account regularly (at least once a week) for the most up-to-date information concerning your housing assignment and other PSC communications.

Can I commit to a housing contract for one semester?

No; unless you are enrolling in campus housing for the spring semester only. Housing contracts are binding for the entire academic year as long as you are a student.

Can my room reservation fee be refunded?

The room reservation fee is fully refundable if the following conditions are met:

1)     Potomac State College of WVU must receive a written request to cancel your housing contract.

This may be mailed to:

Office of Residential Education and Housing

C/O Ms. Marie Post

101 Fort Avenue

Keyser, WVU 26726

Or  emailed to:


Subject Line: Housing Cancellation

2)     The last day to receive a refund of your room reservation fee:

  1. Fall Semester: July 1st
  2. Spring Semester: November 1st

Do I have to live on-campus?

All single students are expected to live on-campus unless you meet one of the following criteria:

1)     21 years old or older

2)     Can commute from a family member's home within a 50-mile radius

3)     You are a parent of a child

How much does it cost to live on-campus?

1)     Single Room                            $2,247.00

  1. Offered In Reynolds Hall and Catamount Place

2)     Single w/ Half Bath                  $2,404.00

  1. Offered In Catamount Place

3)     Double Room                           $1,691.00

  1. Offered In Davis Hall, Memorial Hall, Friend Hall, Reynolds Hall, and Catamount Place

4)     Double Room w/ Half Bath        $1,850.00

  1. Offered in Catamount Place

5)     Double Suite                            $2,074.00

  1. Offered in University Place and Catamount Place

6)     Private Double                         $2,430.00

  1. Offered in University Place
(Please Note: These rates are accurate for the 2013-2014 academic year.
Rates are subject to change for future years.)

Are meal plans required for all on-campus residents?

Yes; all students residing in residence halls must purchase a campus meal plan.

Meal Plan Expenses per semester:

1)     19 Meal Plan (Open access to all offered meals during the week and weekend) - $1,855.00

  1. This is the only meal plan that may be used on weekends for Saturday and Sunday meals.

2)     15 Meal Plan (Access to breakfast, lunch, and dinner during the weekdays) - $1,747.00

3)     10 Meal Plan (Access to two meals per day during the weekdays) - $1,514.00

(Please Note: These rates are accurate for the 2013-2014 academic year.
Rates are subject to change for future years.)

How can I change rooms or meal plans prior to arriving on campus?

You can change rooms and meal plans prior to arriving on campus. Any time before the semesterly application deadline, you would re-enter the Housing Management System (HMS) and select a different room. This provides an instant process of changing rooms. After the application deadline, you must contact our housing assistant, Ms. Marie Post at pschousing@mail.wvu.edu . To change a meal plan you would click on the STAR tab in your MIX account and follow the same process as you did when you applied for housing. At the page with the housing application link, there will be a “Change Meal Plan” link. Click on the link and follow the instructions.

Can I choose my own roommate?

Yes; you may choose your own roommate. After Potomac State College of WVU has received your housing application and the $200 room reservation fee has been paid, you will receive an email from West Virginia University in your MIX account. There you will receive a link to the Housing Management System (HMS). Clink on the link and there you will be granted access to select a room at Potomac State College of WVU.   If would like to find a roommate with similar preferences there is an opportunity to fill out a roommate matching questionnaire that will attempt to provide options of similar roommates.   You also have the option to send a roommate request to another student via MIX.

*Note: Students will not have access to this system after July 1st.*

Are single rooms available?

We do offer a limited number of single rooms at Potomac State College of WVU. These rooms are located in Reynolds Hall and Catamount Place. Please refer to earlier question for single room rates.

How do I find out where I am being placed?

You will be notified of your placement through your MIX account. You can also check your housing assignment any time on your MIX account, through your STAR access tab. Once you have clicked the STAR tab, click on the Housing link and follow the directions to the Housing Information link.

What does Potomac State College of WVU provide in each room?

Each resident is provided the following items/amenities: bed, dresser, desk, closet space, air conditioning/heat, wired high-speed Internet (Ethernet Based), and cable television access.

What size are the beds on campus?
Mattresses in our residence halls are extra-long (36"x80"). We have partnered with Residence Hall Linens to provide our students with a convenient, affordable way to purchase extra-long sheets and bedding items, as well as other campus-living necessities. Proceeds from this program are used for programming in the residence halls. Please visit the RHL website http://www.rhl.org/pos

How safe is Potomac State College of WVU?

We have a University Police Department located on our campus that actively participates in policing the campus community. In addition to University Police, the Office of Residential Education provides night monitors to patrol through the residence halls from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. Finally, six live-in professionals rotate an on-call duty schedule to respond to all emergencies that occur at Potomac State College of WVU.

Does the housekeeping staff clean my room?

The housekeeping staff will not clean your residence hall room. It is expected, based on the health and safety residence hall policy, that each resident keep his or her room in a healthy and safe state. The housekeepers will clean the bathroom areas of University Place Residence Hall rooms twice per month as a touch up and to inspect for damages and such. The housekeeping staff will clean the community rest rooms in all the other residence halls on a daily basis. The housekeeping staff will clean the common areas of all residence halls on a daily basis.

Can I bring my car to campus?

All students are welcome to bring a vehicle to campus. Parking permits can be purchased during the Student Service Days prior to the beginning of each semester or at the University Police Office during the year. Parking permits cost $40 for the entire academic year. All members of the campus community who plan to park a vehicle on campus must display a valid PSC parking permit.

How do I obtain a guest parking permit when friends or family come to visit?

Guest parking permits can be obtained from the Students Affairs Office or the Service Office (located in the Administration Building), the University Police Office, or the Library.

Can I change rooms?

Yes; you can place a request for a room change. However, we do not engage in any room changes for the first two to three weeks of the semester. At the conclusion of the time period, we will initiate a one week process known as "The Friendly Room Change Process." You will need to pick up a form from the Office of Residential Education and complete it for review. All requests that come in after "The Friendly Room Change" period must be reviewed by the professional staff and alternative means of solving roommate conflicts must be considered first.

Where do I get my mail?

The mailboxes for all on-campus residents are located on the top floor of the Student Union. During the move-in process, each resident will be assigned an individual mailbox. Below is the mailing address for students:

Mailbox #
105 Fort Avenue
Keyser, WV 26726
When can I pick up my mail?

Mail will be placed in student mailboxes on a daily basis. If you receive a package that is too large to fit in your mailbox, it can be picked up between the hours of 8 p.m. and 12 a.m. in the student mailroom, which is located next to the student mailbox area on the top floor of the Student Union.

Residential Education

Where is the office located?

The office is located on the main floor of University Place across from the Potomac Commons dining facility.   The Student Activities Office is located on the top floor of the Student Union, which is where our staff is located that is devoted to student activities and RA programs.

Who works within the Office Residential Education?

Residence Hall Coordinators

RHC of University Place Terri Watkins 304-788-7410 Terri.Watkins@mail.wvu.edu

RHC Davis and Reynolds Halls Kate Goff 304-788-7408 Kate.Goff@mail.wvu.edu

RHC of Memorial Hall Justin Anderson 304-788-7409 JAAnderson @mail.wvu.edu

RHC of Friend Hall Sarah Smith 304-788-7421 SRSmith1@mail.wvu.edu

Resident Community Leader of Catamount Place Shawn White 304-788-6879 SAWhite@mail.wvu.edu

Housing Staff
Housing Assistant Marie Post 304-788-7407 Marie.Post@mail.wvu.edu
Night Monitors Roger Miller Bob Smith

Student Staff

  • We have approximately 30 Resident Assistants located throughout each residence hall at Potomac State College of WVU. Their door areas will have signage notifying residents that they are a Resident Assistant assigned to that floor or designated area of the residence hall.

What is a Residence Hall Coordinator?

Residence Hall Coordinators are full-time professional staff that lives inside the residence halls. They focus on the daily operations of our residence halls and student activities while supervising the student staff within the Office of Residential Education.

What is a Resident Assistant?

Resident Assistants are students who are employed by the Office of Residential Education to manage the floors of our residence halls. Resident Assistants provide assistance by enforcing campus policies and providing fun social activities.

How do I become a Resident Assistant?

The Office of Residential Education conducts a hiring process on a semesterly basis. All registered students are welcome to apply within the Office of Residential Education. The hiring process will be facilitated by the RHC of Human Resources. The minimum requirements to qualify as a RA candidate are:

  • A minimum of a 2.5 GPA (Grade Point Average which applies to high school applicants as well)
  • Be in good conduct standing with Potomac State College of WVU

How do I get something fixed in my room?

If you notice damage in your room we want fix this issue as quickly as possible. Please note the following contact points based on the time that you notice the issue:

  • Weekdays

8:30am – 4:30pm         Please come to the Office of Residential Education

After 4:30pm                Please contact a Resident Assistant in your building


  • Weekends

Anytime                       Please contact a Resident Assistant in your building

What happens if I lose my key?

Traditional Halls (Davis Hall, Memorial Hall, Friend Hall, Reynolds Hall)

  • Please come to the Office of Residential Education promptly. You will then fill out a temporary key sign out form and be given another key to your room. If the original key is not found after seven days, a lock change will occur. You are then assessed a $50 lock change fee.

University Place and Catamount Place

  • Since your student identification card is your room key, the process is slightly different. Please go to the Student Affairs Office and get a new student identification card. Then please come to the Office of Residential Education. There we will activate your new student identification card to open the lock of your room. You will be assessed a $30 lock change fee as you will have already been assessed a $20 fee for your new student identification card.

What is the campus visitation policy?

Guests who do not reside in your residence hall are not permitted in the residence halls after 12 a.m. daily. You must go to the Office of Residential Education and fill out an overnight visitation pass for guests of the same sex. The Office of Residential Education will not issue an overnight guest pass for an individual of the opposite sex. Also no guest under the age of 18 years of age is permitted as an overnight guest.


What should I do if I am struggling academically?

We highly recommend that you stop by the Office of Residential Education to allow us to assist you. The Residence Hall Coordinator of Academic Programming will discuss your academic progress and connect you to our many academic resources provided at Potomac State College of WVU. Also we can work individually with you to mentor and model the key skills needed to be a thriving college student.

Student Activities

What types of activities are offered on a regular basis at Potomac State College of WVU?

The Office of Residential Education and the Office of Student Involvement consistently work together to ensure that each student has a fun and educational experience while attending Potomac State College of WVU. We offer the following programs on a weekly basis:

  • Movie Nights and Documentary Nights in the Loft of the Student Union
  • Game Nights in the Loft of the Student Union
  • Late Nights on Wednesday and Thursday nights, where free food is served in the Potomac Commons
  • Resident Assistant led programs inside each residence halls (See Advertisements For Specifics)
  • Intramural Sports

What intramural sports/activities are offered at Potomac State College of WVU?

Our intramural sports can often rotate based on student interests and the available facilities at the given time. Some of the intramural sports that we have offered in the past and continue to keep in consideration are:

  • Basketball
  • Volleyball
  • Softball
  • 3 vs. 3 Basketball
  • Card Games (Spades, Poker, etc…)
  • Soccer
  • Ping Pong
  • Ultimate Frisbee
  • Pool
  • Kick Ball
  • Bocce Ball
  • Corn Hole
  • Video Games

Can I suggest ideas and help plan events?

All students are always welcome to give ideas regarding programs or events they would like to see on-campus. Many of our programs that we facilitate on an annual basis have been sparked from student ideas. Also our resident assistants would love to hear from you as they are looking for programs that their residents would like to see happen.

Are trips offered to students?

The Office of Residential Education and the Office of Student Activities plan several trips each year. Some of the destinations that we have offered to students at a discount rate were:

  • Baltimore Inner Harbor
  • Smithsonian Museum
  • Washington Wizards Basketball Games
  • White Water Rafting
  • Kings Dominion
  • Water Country USA
  • Local Trips to the Movie Theater
  • Snow Tubing/Ice Skating
  • Many More Trips Have Been Planned As Well…

How many activities are provided for students at Potomac State College of WVU?

During a typical academic year, the Office of Residential Education and the Office of Student Involvement facilitates approximately 400 programs for students to attend.