Housing and Residence Life
Welcome to the Office of Residence Education
Welcome and thank you for choosing Potomac State College of West Virginia University as you embark on your college career. This web page is designed to answer many of your questions regarding roommates, residence halls, meal plans, items to bring, and items to leave at home, among other topics. Should you have any questions, please contact the Residential Education Office at 800-262-7332 or 304-788-7407 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
West Virginia University reserves the right to deny or terminate on-campus housing for any real or perceived health or safety concern; when a housing assignment would unreasonably interfere with the rights of others; or when an assignment adversely affects or interferes with the educational or orderly operation of the University, its mission, or its objectives. All decisions will be made on a case by case basis.
Who is required to live On Campus?
All single students who are enrolled full-time (12 or more credits per semester) are required to live in College-owned housing, except those meeting the following criteria:
• Students 21 years of age or older by August 15
• Students who will be residing with parents within a reasonable commuting distance (50-mile radius of Keyser)
• Students with children
• Married students
The College recognizes that there are always exceptions to this policy. A housing appeals committee meets periodically to decide upon written appeals on a case-by-case basis. Questions and written appeals can be directed to the Residential Education Office.
Summer Housing Options
University Place remains open throughout the summer. More information, including costs, is available from the Residence Life and Housing office at 304.788.7407 or email@example.com .
How to Apply for Housing
To apply for housing, you must complete the application and pay the deposit online through the STAR Information System. This is only accessible through your MiX account. You should have received information in a letter from Enrollment Services on how to access your MiX account when you were admitted to the College. If you have questions about MiX, please contact the OIT Help Desk at 1-877-327- 9260. In addition to the application and deposit, you will select your meal plan.
To complete your housing application and pay your housing deposit online:
1) Sign into Mountaineer Information Xpress (MiX) at http://www.mix.wvu.edu/ using your MiX ID and password.
2) Click on the “STAR” tab.
3) Click on “Click here to enter Star” link.
4) Click on “Student Services & Housing” link.
5) Click on “Housing” link.
6) Click on “Housing Application” link to complete the application and pay the deposit OR click on “Pay Housing Deposit” link if you have previously submitted the Housing Application.
*Note: In this section all residence hall students will select a meal plan.
To select your residence hall room and your roommate:
7) After the College has received your housing application/contract and $200 room reservation fee, WVU will send an e-mail to your MiX account informing you that you may proceed with selecting a room and roommate via the Housing Management System (HMS). It is imperative that you continue to check your MiX account for this notification as well as follow any and all instructions on how to complete the room selection process.
8) If you don’t have a roommate preference, you will be given the opportunity to fill out a roommate matching questionnaire (Public Roommate Profile) that will attempt to match you with a roommate with similar preferences. We ask that you, and NOT your parents, fill out this section honestly.
X-Press Check-In Information
Fill out the following documents prior to arriving to campus:
All forms are in Adobe Acrobat Reader, if you do not have Adobe you can download it free here.
If you cannot fill out the documents prior to arrival, report to your hall for further instructions and check-in. When arriving at Potomac State, enter through the main entrance of campus for parking instructions. Signs and staff will direct you to your hall. Each car will be given a parking pass for 30 minutes. Report directly to your assigned check-in area with the completed forms.
Office of Residential Education
Office of Student Activities
101 Fort Ave.
Keyser, WV 26726