Jennifer Merrifield Title: Assistant Professor of English Phone #: 304-788-6999 Fax #: 304-788-6847 Email: Jennifer.Merrifield@mail.wvu.edu Education: MFA in Creative Writing (emphasis in poetry and screenwriting), Virginia Commonwealth University, 2007 BA in Sociology (social inequality) and minor in English (creative writing), West Virginia University, 2003 Courses Taught: ENGL 101: Composition and Rhetoric ENGL 102: Composition and Rhetoric ENGL 111: Introduction to Creative Writing ENGL 226: Non-Western World Literature ENGL 230: Film Studies ENGL 232: Poetry ENGL 233: The Short Story ENGL 233H: Honors Short Story ENGL 252: Appalachian Fiction ENGL 293I: Special Topics: Enjoying Poetry ENGL 293M: Special Topics: Slam Poetry ENGL 343: American Poetry ENGL 383: Introduction to Cultural Studies COMM 104: Public Communication UNIV 101: Orientation WVUe191: First Year Seminar Courses Also Taught Online: ENGL 102: Composition and Rhetoric ENGL 226: Non-Western World Literature ENGL 232: Poetry ENGL 258: American Pop Culture ENGL 343: American Poetry ENGL 383: Introduction to Cultural Studies
Fun Fact About Yourself: My most prized possession is a first edition of Salvador Dali’s only novel, Hidden Faces.
Accolades and Awards:
The Charleston Gazette acknowledged her work as a poet, saying “She is the poet’s equivalent of a Heisman Trophy Winner, with all the awards she has won.” A featured emerging writer in Natural Bridge, her poetry received the Columbia Poetry Prize, the 42opus Editor’s Select Prize, was a finalist for Best New Poets, the Stephen Dunn Poetry Award, the Carolyn Kizer Prize, the Greg Grummer Poetry Award, and was an AWP/Intro Awards nominee.
Founded and continue to advise two student organizations, the Black Student Alliance and the Poetry Club; Academic Advisor in General Studies, English, and Political Science; Mentor in the Catamount Success Academy; WVU Faculty Senator; member of the General Education Curriculum Committee (WVU), the Assessment Committee (PSC), the Academic Standards Committee (PSC), and the Student Conduct Board (PSC); regularly serve as a judge for regional poetry slams and story slams, including county and regional Poetry Out Loud competitions, organizes faculty and student poetry readings and bring visiting writers to campus
Synopsis of Publications:
Jennifer Merrifield is the author of a collection of poetry, American Proper,and Managing Editor of the literary journal Backbone Mountain Review. A featured emerging writer in Natural Bridge, her poetry received the Columbia Poetry Prize, the 42opus Editor’s Select Prize, was a finalist for Best New Poets, and has appeared in dozens of journals and anthologies in the United States and Canada including Fourteen Hills, LIT, Harpur Palate, The Chattahoochee Review, Sycamore Review, and White Ink: Poems on Mothers and Motherhood. Her essays and reviews on poetry have appeared in Blackbird, Review Revue, Split Lip Magazine, and Poetry Assignments: The Book, and she has performed full reviews of composition textbooks at the request of Pearson/Longman, Bedford/St. Martins, and W.W. Norton & Company.
Books : American Proper (March Street Press, 2008)
- Reviews, Interviews, and Essays : Interview. “Surrealism, Humor, and the Working Man: An Interview with Bob Hicok.” Split Lip Magazine 8 (2013): <http://www.splitlipmagazine.com/#!bob-hicok-interview/cegc>.
- Textbook review. Nadell, Judith, John A. Langan, and Eliza A. Comodromos. The Longman Reader. 10th ed. Longman, 2011.
- Full textbook review. Cooley, Thomas, ed. Back to the Lake: A Reader for Writers. 2nd ed. WW Norton & Company, 2010.
- Full textbook review. Palmquist, Mike, ed. The Bedford Researcher. 3rd ed. Bedford/St. Martins, 2009.
- Textbook review. Nadell, Judith, John A. Langan, and Eliza A. Comodromos.The Longman Reader. 9th ed. Longman, 2009.
- Review. "Visions of the Imagined World: Chapbooks by Kate Greenstreet, G. C. Waldrep, F. Daniel Rzicznek, Idra Novey, and Benjamin S. Grossberg." Blackbird 6.1 (2007): <http://www.blackbird.vcu.edu/v5n2/nonfiction/merrifield_j/index.htm>.
- Review. "A Shot in the Canon's Mouth: Catherine Wing's Enter Invisible." Blackbird 5.1 (2006): <http://www.blackbird.vcu.edu/v5n1/nonfiction/merrifield_j/index.htm>.
- Interview. "A Conversation with Allison Joseph." Blackbird 4.2 (Fall 2005): <http://www.blackbird.vcu.edu/v4n2/features/joseph_a_011306/index.htm>.
- Review. "Spelling it Out: Van Jordan and the Poetry of MacNolia Cox Montiere." Review Revue 2.1 (Spring, 2005): 16-17.
- Essay. "Soul Responses: Can a poet today successfully use 'soul' in poetry?" Redactions 4/5 (2005 Double Issue): 60.
Poems and Essays in Anthologies:
- Essay. "Soul Responses: Can a poet today successfully use 'soul' in poetry?" Poetry Assignments: The Book. Ed. Tom Holmes. Grand Forks: Sage Hill Press, 2007.
- Poem. "American Proper." White Ink: Poems on Mothers and Motherhood. Ed. Rishma Dunlop. Toronto: Demeter Press, 2007. 359-360.
- Poem. "A Legato Passage," "Saturday Laundry." Wild Sweet Notes II: More Great Poetry from West Virginia. Ed. Ace Boggess. Huntington: Publisher's Place, 2005. 122-23.
Poems in Journals:
- “Making Depth, We Ruler and Compass.” Poetry on the Menu (2012).
- “Poem Masquerading as an Old Lover’s Photo.” Poetry on the Menu (2010).
- “Reinventing Exit.” The Chattahoochee Review (2008).
- "Dessert." Minima 1.1 (2008). <http://magazineminima.com>.
- "The Art of Hesitant Door Opening." Diner 8 (2008).
- "Machinations the Sternum Prevents." Burnside Review 3.2 (2007): 6-7.
- "Elegy with Starters Pistol." LIT 13 (2007).
- "Cold Harbor," "Dear Slipknot-," "Picnicking in Dorset Park," "Breathing Underwater," "Image in the Current." Natural Bridge 17 (2007): 146-156.
- "He Loves Me Not He Loves Me." Columbia: A Journal of Literature and Art 44 (Winter, 2007): 87.
- “Dusk Approaching the Bridge Between,” “Answering the Whistle, the Glare,” “Postscript.” 42Opus 7.1 (2007): March 2007 <http://42opus.com/authors/jennifermerrifield>.
- "[Absent as if possessed as if not quite there]." Harpur Palate 6.2 (Winter, 2007): 127-28.
- "What Lingers." Diner 6 (2006): 6-7.
- "Conspadamo, Artery and Eyelet." Harpur Palate 6.1 (Summer, 2006): 89.
- "American Proper," "Oh Orgasm, Oh Operator: Hello, Hello." Phoebe 35:2 (Fall, 2006): 91-93.
- "Interrogatory No. 4: Pre-Fabrication."Columbia: A Journal of Literature and Art 43 (Spring, 2006): 244-45.
- "Incognito." Fourteen Hills 12.2 (Summer/Fall, 2006): 154-55.
- "The End is the Beginning is No Matter." Redactions 6/7 (2006 Double Issue): 58.
- "We are needles. We thread ourselves and stitch every cloth with visions."Words & Images (Spring, 2006): 16.
- "Not Nervousness," "Dictaphone at the Switchboard," "Maps We Forget to Make," "Monochrome as Corrective," "Cold Water Embrace: The Dinner Party." Can We Have Our Ball Back? (2006): January 2006 <http://cwhobb.blogspot.com/>.
- "2004 Slips into the Back Pocket." Sycamore Review 17.2 (Summer/Fall, 2005): 15-16.
- "A Legato Passage," "Saturday Laundry." Controlled Burn X (Winter, 2004).
- "After O'Keefe." Whitewater Review (2003): July 2003 <http://www.iue.edu/whitewater/index.html>.
- "Insomnia or Something Like It." Terminus 2/3 (2003 Double Issue): 11.
Professional Awards and Accolades:
- Winner of the 2007 42opus Editors' Select Prize. "Postscript." 42Opus 7.1 (2007): March 2007 <http://42opus.com/authors/jennifermerrifield>.
- 2007 Featured Emerging Writer, Natural Bridge 17.
- 2007 Nominee for Best New Poets 2007, Ed. Jeb Livingood, University of Virginia Press.
- Winner of the 2006 Columbia Poetry Prize, judged by Karen Volkman. "Interrogatory No. 4: Pre-Fabrication."Columbia: A Journal of Literature and Art 43 (Spring, 2006): 244-45.
- 2006 Greg Grummer Poetry Award finalist. "American Proper" and "Oh Orgasm, Oh Operator: Hello, Hello." Phoebe 35:2 (Fall, 2006): 91-93.
- 2006 Stephen Dunn Poetry Award finalist. "We are needles. We thread ourselves and stitch every cloth with visions." Words & Images (Spring 2006): 16.
- 2006 Seattle Review Carolyn Kizer Prize in Poetry finalist.
- 2006 AWP/Intro Awards nominee, Virginia Commonwealth University.
Creative Writing Pedagogy, Contemporary Poetry & Poetics, Composition Pedagogy
Conference Presentations & Workshops Led:
- Poetry Instructor, Savage River Arts camp, 2014.
- Poetry Instructor, Savage Mountain Creative Writing Camp, 2012
- Instructor, Love Poetry Workshop, Frostburg State University, 2012
- “The Author/Editor Relationship” and “Reading & Writing Online,” 5thAnnual Small Press Fair, Frostburg, MD, 2011
- Poetry Instructor, Savage Mountain Creative Writing Camp, 2011
- Instructor, Music and Writing Workshop, Frostburg State University, 2010
- Roundtable Discussion on Literary Editing and Publishing, Nightsun Writers Conference, Frostburg, MD, 2010
- “Building a Literary Community” and “Teachers, Publishers, and Students,” 4th Annual Western Maryland Small & Regional Press Fair, 2010
- “Literary Publishing,” 3rd Annual Western Maryland Small & Regional Press Fair, 2009
- Poet in Residence, Artists in the Schools, Allegany County, MD, 2009
- “Art as Muse,” Art & Writing Workshop, Frostburg State University, 2009
- Poet in Residence, Artists in the Schools, Allegany County, MD, 2008
- “Maintaining Your Muse,” 2nd Annual Western Maryland Publishing Fair, 2008
- Regional Writers Roundtable, Frostburg State University’s Appalachian Festival, 2007
- "American Proper," presentation and panel, Writing by Degrees: The Ninth Annual Graduate Creative Writing Conference, Binghamton, NY, October 2006.
- "The Writing Center Online Pilot Program," Emerging Technologies Day, Virginia Commonwealth University, April 2005.
Featured Poetry Reader:
2014: Black Hat/ Black Tree Press Reading Series, Cumberland, MD;
2013: Harpur Palate Launch Party, Binghamton, NY; Broadsides & More Project, Frostburg, MD; AP Literary Arts Night, Louisville, KY; Valentine's Day Reading, Cumberland, MD; Thanksgiving Reading, Frostburg, MD
2012: Riverfest, Laurel, MD; Valentine’s Day Reading, Cumberland, MD; Thanksgiving Reading, Frostburg, MD; Nightsun Participant Reading, Frostburg, MD.
2011: Small’s Jazz Club, NY, NY; The Poetry Lab, Vienna, VA; Valentine’s Day Reading, Cumberland, MD; Thanksgiving Reading & Food Drive, Frostburg, MD
2010: Valentine’s Day Reading, Cumberland, MD; Nightsun Participant’s Reading, Frostburg, MD;
2009: Book Release Readings for American Proper, various; Valentine’s Day Reading, Cumberland, MD
2008: 10th Annual John Milton Memorial Celebration of Poets and Poetry, Milton, DE; Banned Book Reading, Frostburg State University
Faculty Collaborators at Other Colleges/Universities:
- As Managing Editor of the literary journal Backbone Mountain Review, I work in partnership with the Allegany Arts Council, the Frostburg Center for Creative Writing, and the Allegany County Library System to publish BMR each year
- One of the professional writers working with the Savage River Watershed Association as a poetry teacher in their Savage River Arts camp, a five-day art and poetry camp for children ages 8 to 12
- Work with Frostburg State University’s Activities for Life Program and the Frostburg Center for Creative Writing to teach one-day and week-long workshops (Music and Writing, Art and Writing, Writing Artist Statements, Writing Love Poetry, Savage Mountain Creative Writing Workshop) to area high school and college students
- Work with West Virginia Writers, Inc. to secure conference internships for PSC students
Grants and/or Contracts:
- Work with the Council for Aid to Education as a performance task scorer assessing critical thinking, complex reasoning, and writing skills for the CLA+, 2006 to present.
- Work with ETS/College Board as an exam reader in AP Language, 2006 to present.
- Faculty Development Grants: 2008, 2011, 2012
Association of Writers and Writing Programs (AWP), Academy of American Poets, Poetry Society of America (PSA), Modern Language Association (MLA), National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), Allegany Arts Council