James Morgart teaches composition, literature, and film courses. His research interests include American Literature, Gothic Literature, and Film Studies, all of which he regularly incorporates into his teaching. Prior to earning his PhD, he worked as an accountant and a filmmaker. Since completing his degree, he has focused on teaching, scholarship, and creative writing. As a teacher, he has been honored with Excellence in Teaching awards at Penn State and New Jersey City University and was named 2020 Outstanding Professor of the Year at Potomac State College. He currently serves as co-advisor of the Film Club and the Creative Writing Club at Potomac State College. The clubs engage in creative activities such as writing screenplays and short stories. They also regularly organize campus events such as film screenings, talks by guest filmmakers and writers, and open mic nights.
- PhD, English, The Pennsylvania State University
- MA, English, The Pennsylvania State University
- BA, English: Creative Writing, Rider University
- MAcc, Accounting, Rider University
- BSBA, Accounting, Rider University
- ENGL 101: Introduction to Composition & Rhetoric
- ENGL 102: Composition, Rhetoric & Research
- ENGL 200: Foundations of Literary Study
- ENGL 230: Film Studies
- ENGL 241: American Literature 1
- ENGL 242: American Literature 2
- ENGL 254: African American Literature
- ENGL 263: Shakespeare 1
- ENGL 293C: Film Studies: Westerns
- ENGL 293D: Film Studies: Film Noir
- ENGL 293E: Film Studies: Hitchcock
- American Literature
- Gothic Literature
- Film Studies
- Literary Theory
- Academic Advisor
- Unit Coordinator, English
- Faculty Associate, Teaching and Learning Commons
- Co-advisor, PSC Film Club
- Co-advisor, PSC Creative Writing Club
- Morgart, James. The Haunted States of America: Gothic Regionalism in Post-war American Fiction. University of Wales Press. Forthcoming.
- Morgart, James. “‘Everyone Has Monsters Within’: Neoliberal Release of Monstrous Desire in Stuart Gordon’s Re-Animator (1985) and From Beyond (1986),” Gothic Studies. Forthcoming.
- Morgart, James. “Things No One Likes to Talk About: An Interview with Stuart Gordon.” Introduction by Robert Cashill. In Stuart Gordon: Interviews, edited by Michael Doyle, University Press of Mississippi. 2022.
- Morgart James. “Deleuzions of Ecohorror: Weighing Al Gore’s Ecostrategy Against The Day of the Triffids.” Horror Studies, vol. 8, no. 1, 2017, pp. 115-130.
- Morgart, James. “Mason Fitch Cogswell.” The Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of the American Enlightenment, edited by Mark G. Spencer, Bloomsbury Academic, 2015.
- Morgart, James. “Gothic Horror from The Haunted Castle to Psycho.” The Gothic World, edited by Glennis Byron and Dale Townshend, Routledge, 2013.
- Morgart, James. Guest Columnist, March 8-22, 2012, The Gothic Imagination, University of Stirling.
Fun Facts: Morgart was an accountant and filmmaker prior to becoming an English professor. His films screened in over two dozen countries, earning awards at multiple film festivals. As a teacher, he has been honored with Excellence in Teaching awards at Penn State and New Jersey City University and was named 2020 Outstanding Professor of the Year at Potomac State College.